Sunday, April 11, 2010

Raising Global Awareness

I'm just going to start this post by stating the fact that I'm not really an informed global citizen of the world system in which we live in today (although I realize that it's something that is very important.) In fact, I'm lucky if I can catch snipits of the Metro on my way to work and see what's going on in New York City so when it comes to current events that are happening, I'm often times completely ignorant of what's going on. Reading 'What is the What,' has definitely been an experience for me and as I read about what Mr. Deng and his fellow countrymen have gone through, it has certainly been a very educational and emotional read. I'm very grateful that this 'gift' was written as an attempt to reach out to inform us of these tragic events that have happened because it creates an awareness that is essential when making foreign policy and decisions regarding how Americans interact with other states in the world system. As awareness causes public opinion, this can be used as a powerful force in affecting the policies adapted by governments on various levels, from the lowest of municipal government up to the highest of federal government policies and that's why having this awareness is so important. The problem with public opinion weighing so heavily on the decisions of leaders, especially in foreign policy making, is that its citizens are generally ignorant of all the important issues they needs to understand before making a rational decision. I think that 'What is the What' is a valiant attempt at raising this awareness for all those who had suffered and their plight as they struggled to stay alive and piece back together their lives that had been destroyed by all the conflict in Sudan.

6 comments:

  1. This is a very good post. I am also guilty of not being up to date with all that is happening in the world and it's a shame that is the reality. Most of us should be up to date with these issues. I try to read as much as possible but sometimes that is not enough to educate myself of all the things around me. This book is very educational but not boring which is very good. I knew about the conflicts but not in detail. It’s true that the book gives you a different outlook of what is still happening in Sudan and why these issues are going continue. Without the intervention of other countries the situation may worsen or may improve. There is no warranty of the effects that intervention may cause. As always, the sudden discovery of oil in southern Sudan complicates matters. Who knows when it will end, the pain and suffering of the Sudanese.
    Although, it is perspective of a Sudanese himself, he was still very young when this narrative began; there are no written records or diaries that were kept. Because most of these events happened when he was very young his memory might be changed and events altered. I wonder if there are any other works of literature that has another perspective of this conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am out of touch when it comes to current events and when I do have a chance to see or read the news I am usually very disconnected from what I am hearing. I tend to forget about it minutes after hearing it. While reading What is the What, I am much more in tune with what is happening in Sudan then I ever was before. There are multiple obvious reasons for that such as getting to know Valentino on a more personal level then the news, or getting a more in depth account of Sudan then the news could ever give me, but what really connects me to the story is the way Valentino/Eggers tell the story.

    I love the way Valentino tells stories to people via an inner monologue. Tied up on the floor, he begins to tell the story of his people to TV Boy without actually speaking aloud. The same situation occurs when he is at the hospital having trouble getting treatment, he begins telling the nurse a story in his head. These stories echo what it must have been like for Valentino before he met Eggers. He was just a man in Atlanta, living with an incredible amount of stories to tell, and very few people to listen to them. He must have told so many stories to himself as he saw the Americans around him totally unaware and unable to understand his life. Eggers and Valentino use Valentino's natural story telling ability to communicate rather then a straight forward account of what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can say I am guilty of not having any type of awareness before reading this book. It’s a shame that up until reading this book I never really knew what was going on in other parts of the world. Now that I’ve read this book I have made a promise to keep up to date with the current events that are going on. I never really paid much attention to politics, therefore I always just voted to vote for the democratic party but never looked into what causes they are helping in around the world. I would like to find a way that we can all contribute and actually make a difference. Achak whether he is fictional or not, has really inspired me. I will make sure to let people know the genocide that is going on in Sudan and the troubles in other parts of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before reading this book, I had a bit of knowledge about the lost boys, but definitely not to the extent I do now. I'm am really enjoying reading this book, because I find it fascinating that Deng has gone through so much and still has the will to live and start a completely new life in a different continent, that is not that easy to live in, or at least not as easy as he thought it would be.
    I think part of the problem with people that being aware of all the social issues going on all over the world is that the media doesn't do a good enough job reporting these events. Lets take for example Haiti, when the earthquake first hit Haiti, it was everywhere in the news. All people were talking about was Haiti, how to donate and help out. That lasted for a week, and now you don't hear anything about it. The in Haiti are definitely still struggling, its not that after a week everything was better, it just that the media stopped covering it. Out of sight, out of mind. It's sad that news like the volcano in Iceland take more precedent over people struggling all over the world.

    ReplyDelete